Racing has taken place at the Pitchcroft course, close to the banks of the River Severn, since at least 1718, making Worcester one of the oldest racecourses in Britain. The first meetings were flat races. By 1755 a 4 day flat meeting had been introduced with a jumps fixture in the Autumn.
By the middle of the nineteenth century, several important races had become well established at the course, including the Worcester Stakes and the Gold Cup.
The course has undergone many changes, including the layout in 1880 of a new track that featured a now long-defunct figure-of-eight course. Flat racing was discontinued in 1966, but the National Hunt meetings continued to provide competitive racing with large fields. Summer jumping started at the course in 1995.
In April 2000 Arena Leisure took over the running of the Racecourse. The City Council maintain ownership of the land and management of the maintenance of the grass area in the centre of the racetrack.